- 1 11x17" sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 13.2 ounce wheel of Brie cheese, about 5 inches
- 1/4 cup fig, raspberry or apricot jam
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted*
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water for glaze
- 1 box water crackers
- Red pears
- Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to 12-inch square.Remove the top rind from the Brie. This is easiest if you put the cheese in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes first.
- When the cheese has firmed up, shave off the rind with a sharp paring knife. Discard the rind.
- Spread apricot, fig or raspberry jam on top of the brie.
- Sprinkle with almonds if desired.
- Place the cheese top side down onto the rolled out pastry dough.
- Fold pastry on 2 opposite sides over cheese.
- Brush all sides of pastry with glaze. Fold over remaining sides; press seams to seal. Place on cookie sheet SEAM SIDE DOWN. Brush pastry on all sides with glaze.
- Hint to keep the cheese from spilling out: If the cheese came in a wooden box, simply return it to the box. Otherwise, shape a few layers of aluminum foil into a shallow makeshift pan around the cheese. Crimp the foil at the edges, leaving the top of the Brie exposed.
- Cut designs from the dough scraps and decorate the top of the dough, then brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
*Toast nuts in a dry skillet over medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes, stirring or tossing often, just until lightly golden. Remove the toasted nuts from the skillet immediately, as the heat of the skillet will continue to toast the nuts. Cool completely.
Alternatively, you can spread the nuts on a baking sheet and toast them in a 350°F oven or toaster oven, stirring once or twice.