This is a spectacular way to wow your guests. A traditional french salad that combines fresh greens, bacon and eggs. Goes great with a nice roasted chop or your favorite soup.
- Splash of white wine vinegar
- 2 eggs
- About 4 ounces trimmed frisee
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- About 3 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh ground sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Homemade croutons (see below)
DirectionsPoaching the Egg
- Bring a shallow pan of water to a boil.
- Add the white wine vinegar.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir to get the liquid moving in one direction, like a whirlpool.
- Break in the eggs, one at a time.
- Poach until the white is set, but the yolk still runny inside, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lift them out with a slotted spoon, and set them on paper towel to drain. (You can trim the edges a little if you want to).
- Turn off the water, and cover to keep warm for reheating the eggs.
- Wash the frisee and spin dry.
- Fry the bacon in a saute pan about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine vinegar and boil to reduce to about 2 teaspoons.
- Add enough oil to make a dressing.
- Toss the frisee in the pan for a few seconds just to coat; don't let it wilt.
- Divide among 2 plates and season with salt and pepper.
- Reheat the eggs in the water for a second or two, lift out, drain and set alongside each salad.
- Season, and serve.