One of my all-time favorite salads. Grilled chicken, fresh tomatoes, black beans and corn with creamy avocado and crunchy tortilla strips. Tossed with a spicy salsa ranch dressing. I have even gone so far as to fry slices of fresh jalapenos for a nice spicy garnish (directions below). Cheese is optional. I tend to not like cheese on this salad as it takes away from the fresh ingredients and makes it too heavy.
- 1 head of Romain lettuce, rinsed and chopped
- 2 grilled chicken breasts,sliced
- 1 1b. grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small avocado, sliced and diced
- 1/2 cup yellow corn, prepared (see below)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
Optional: Fried Sliced Jalapeno
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup salsa (refrigerated, homemade salsa is best)
- Combine ranch and salsa to make dressing. Set aside
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium sized skillet and cook tortilla strips until golden an crunchy. Drain and set aside.
- For corn: Saute corn in the same skillet, just to warm and toast. Let cool.
- In a large shallow bowl, arrange lettuce, chicken and salad ingredients.
- Drizzle dressing on top
- Finish with cilantro and tortilla strips.
Ingredients for Fried Jalapeno Slices
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup beer
- 1/2 quart vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced jalapeno peppers
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, red chili powder, garlic powder, eggs, and beer together in a bowl.
- In a deep fryer, or large pot heat oil to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Dip the sliced jalapenos in the batter. Place battered jalapenos in deep fryer. The jalapenos are fully cooked when they float to the surface of the oil. They should be golden brown and crispy. Enjoy!