This is an easy sweet and sour sauce to serve with your homemade egg rolls, grilled shrimp or tossed with chicken wings. Great as a side sauce for any kind of prepared fish or chicken. You can also add chunks of pineapple and green peppers to the cooking liquid for added flavor.
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and ketchup in a medium saucepan, and bring to a slight boil.
- Meanwhile, mix water and cornstarch together to make a slurry.
- Add slurry to sugar mixture.
- Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.