This is light citrus cake made with orange, pineapple and a bit of lemon zest. It can be used as a muffin or a cake, large sized or individual. The recipe is a basic yellow cake so you could actually add whatever flavorings you like. I like making individual cupcakes as opposed to a large cake. When I make things larger, I use the Demarle Sunflower pan...everything can go in that and it looks beautiful. It's molded to 16 petals which become your slices. It can be used to bake cakes, brownies, muffins,breads and so much more.
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup milk1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange segments
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup crushed pineapple,drained1 tsp.vanilla
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour muffin trays, use a paper liner or better yet...use Demarle's muffin tray or gorgeous Charlotte flower shaped mini- cakes tray, or the Sunflower mold.
- In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt with a wire whisk.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix until completely combines. Slowly add flour alternately with milk. At end of addition batter should be smooth.
- Add oranges and zest and mix well, breaking up the oranges.
- Divide between muffin wells, about 3/4 full. You may also use 2 cake pans.
- Bake cupcakes for about 12 minutes or cakes for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, then invert onto a rack and cool completely before frosting.
- Beat cream in stand mixer just until heavy peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar and vanilla; beat making sure not to beat too much or butter will form.
- Fold in pineapple, making sure to blend in thoroughly.
- Top cupcakes with desired amount.