April 18, 2013

Traditional Chopped Greek Salad


I have been  making tons of salds lately.  If I don't make them, I am eating them out.  A good Greek salad is one of my favorites.  I love the flaky oregano with the spicy peppers and the salty tang of the olives.  Each component is so unique and separate, yet work so well together.  Some traditional Greek salad recipes add potato salad to the center.  Or pickled beets.  Not me. 

 Ingredients
  • 1 head of romaine lettuce, rinsed and chopped
  • 1 seedless cucumber, sliced and quartered
  • 1 lb. grape tomatoes, quartered  
  • 1  medium red onion, sliced, chopped
  • 1 lb. radishes, sliced and quartered
  • 1 1/3  cups  coarsely chopped parsley  
  • 1 1/3  cups  drained pitted kalamata olives,chopped
  • 1 cup chopped  peperoncini (see image below)
  • Optional: Sliced cooked chicken
 For the vinaigrette:
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  •  8 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
Pepperoncini.jpg
Peperoncini

Directions
1. In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients.  I like to chop everything into small bite sized pieces. 
2. In a small bowl or jar , mix dressing ingredients.  Shake or whisk to combine.  Add cheese to dressing.  Shake. 
3.Toss desired amount of dressing with salad.  
Salt and pepper to taste.

I like to add ripped pieces of hearty sourdough directly into the salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...