April 9, 2013

Wild Rice and Chicken Soup

Let me start by saying that I think this is my all-time favorite soup in the whole history of soup.  Wait, there is that corn chowder from MESA Grill I had once.... and there is that Lobster Bisque from the Grand Rapids Chop House....well,  this is the best soup that I make. This recipe came from a friend, who prepared it for my family upon our return home from vacation.  They turned the heat on in the house and decorated the dining room like a tropical paradise.  And, a pot of soup ready and warm with crusty bread and a nice salad.  What a way to come home from a sunny Florida beach  to a frigid Michigan winter. I have since made this recipe my own, using the ingredients the way I like and omitting a few, like flour as a thickener.  I don't like to thicken soups with flour.  I like CREAM.
Ingredients
  • 3 TBSP butter
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup shallots, minced
  • 1 leek, cleaned and trimmed.  Use half of the  greens and all of whites, finely sliced
  • 2 celery stalks,  thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup Riesling wine ( you can use Sherry or other  white wine)
  • 3 carrots quartered and sliced
  • 2 quarts chicken broth ( I used the boxed stock)
  • 2 tsp. tarragon
  • 3/4 cup wild rice (you can also use the pre-cooked package of Uncle Ben's and add it just at the end of cooking)
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • White chicken breast meat from a roasted chicken
Directions
  1. Heat butter in soup pot. 
  2. Add garlic, shallots,celery and leeks
  3. Cook until softened about 5 min.
  4. Add wine and reduce liquid  to half, about 5 minutes.
  5. Add carrots, stirring.
  6. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
  7. Cook about 10 minutes.
  8. Add tarragon, cream and rice.
  9. Cook until carrots are tender, but still a bit firm
  10. Add chicken.
  11. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...