April 1, 2013

Gluten Free-er & Cleaner Weekend 2

Remember, it is Gluten Free-ER & Clean-ER.  Not completely gluten - free.  :)  As with most things, I am, unfortunately, inconsistent.  I love to research and try new things, but my endeavors fizzle out and my attention is often diverted in a new direction, down a rabbit trail or absorbed in a new project.  My last journal post was March 29th, day 10.  Today is the 1st of April, day 15, the Monday following Easter.    The end of last week was spent preparing for Easter dinner with friends, feeding a large group of teenagers and getting over the departure of our family dog to a new owner.  I was also trying to get the house ready for 4 spring breakers.  I managed to eat pretty well but on the fly most of the time.  I have included some recipes that were helpful in keeping me on track.  
My goal this week is to have some fun with our food.   Since we are not going to a sunny, beautiful Florida beach, we are all feeling a bit sorry for ourselves, so I can at least make some fun meals to look forward to.  I am taking Monday off  because we have leftovers and because I am still a bit depressed about giving up the dog.  Sadness takes its toll.  
Food highlights: I made the salad pictured above as well as Greek Moussaka,  which happens to be one of my most popular posts.  People find it from all over the world.  

For our Easter Dinner this year I made a ham,  Scalloped Potatoes based on a recipe from "Lemony Thyme", Garden of Eden Salad, Fresh Green Beans sauteed with garlic and a touch of  Tarragon Compound Butter,  and some 30 Minute rolls from "Hun What's For Dinner?I served the rolls with the Tarragon Compound Butter. Visit these blogs for some fresh ideas to bring to your table.  
Pork Tenderloin Salad with Cous Cous and Avocado Salsa


Ingredients
Cooked Pork Tenderloin, sliced
Directions:
Use all three recipes to make a salad as pictured above. 

Cous-Cous Salad
Ingredients
  • 1 box garlic/ olive oil cous-cous, cooked according to package instructions
  • juice of 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 1 scallion, minced
  • 1 seedless cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, quartered and chopped
  • 1/2 lb. grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
Optional:
3/4 pound feta cheese 


Directions
  1. Cook the cous-cous according to directions. Cool.
  2. Add the lime juice, olive oil and remaining ingredients.  
  3. Toss well and refrigerate for about 1 hour. 
 
Avocado & Feta Cheese Salsa
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 1  small red onion, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 4 oz. container of feta cheese, crumbled
  • drizzle of extra-virgin  olive oil
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions
  1. In a bowl, gently stir together tomatoes, avocado, onion, and garlic.
  2. Mix in cilantro and garlic. Stir in feta. 
  3. Drizzle with olive oil
  4. Salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Cover, and chill for 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...