My favorite way to eat in the summertime. Grill+ Meat+Veggie+Greens. Add sunshine, baseball and a good drink and I am all set. I have since made this salad with a penne pasta added to make it a heartier meal. The textures of the pasta with the steak and the bite of the arugula is top notch. Serve cold.
- 1 (1-pound) New York strip steak
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound penne pasta (optional)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for steak and pasta water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for steak
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cups chopped arugula
- Season the steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper, herbs de Provence, and minced garlic.
- Heat grill to medium heat. Cook steak about 7 minutes per side. Remove the meat from pan and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, fresh herbs, and olive oil.
- In a large bowl toss the pasta with half of the salad dressing and the reserved pasta water.
- Add the arugula and steak, more dressing, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed.