4 pounds golden potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups heavy cream
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Put the potatoes into a large pot, add the bay leaf, 2 tablespoons salt, and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain them well and remove the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, heat the cream and 3 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan.
- Mix the potatoes with hand beater or stand mixer to desired consistency.
- Add remaining butter to help with beating.
- Add the hot cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together with a spoon and add the chives.
Chefs note: I spoon the finished potatoes into a casserole dish, spot with more butter and place into a heated oven to keep warm and to finish off with a nice crisp top.