I take Ina's recipe and after chilling, layer it with something sweet, like fig or apricot jelly. OR I add something savory, like basil pesto.
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons minced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crackers, for serving
- Place the cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip until smooth.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the cream and then the lemon zest, lemon juice, scallions, dill, chives, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Whisk until firm.
- Line a 6-inch coeur a la creme mold or a 6-inch sieve with a few layers of cheesecloth, allowing the excess to drape over the sides.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture into the cheesecloth and smooth the top.
- Fold the excess cheesecloth over the top of the creme. Suspend the sieve over a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, discard the liquid that has collected in the bowl and invert the creme onto a plate. Serve chilled with crackers.