May 23, 2013

Sausage Cream Sauce With Fried Sage

I learned to fry fresh herbs while teaching a basic cooking class a few years ago.  The first herb I tried to fry, was parsley. It was for a basic linguini dish prepared with fresh lemon, red pepper and fried parsley.    It caused the flavor to be so much more INTENSE.  It also added a nice unexpected crunch to the pasta. Sage and sausage go so beautifully together, I thought I would fry the sage to go with the cream sauce.  I don't think fresh chopped sage would go as well as the cooked,  it would be to soft and smooth.  The cream sauce is a base I usually prepare with chicken and pork, but it works well with crumbled sausage.  It is nothing like the "gravy" you would put over biscuits...trust me.  This is much lighter and more elegant.   I served it over ravioli and then took it to the next level with the fresh sage that I fried in the sausage fat.  You can use this sauce on any of your favorite pasta.  The fried sage can also be used with other dishes like eggs (shown below) and potatoes.  
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed and minced
  • 1 small red onion, chopped fine
  • 1 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 cup of heavy cream
  • Salt and fresh ground pepper
  • 8-10 Fresh sage leaves, whole or chopped
 
Directions
  1. In large skillet, brown crumbled sausage, breaking it into small pieces while cooking it all the way through. 
  2. Add chopped garlic and red onion.  Saute for about 1 minute until tender. 
  3. Remove meat from the pan, reserving some fat.  
  4. Heat pan, adding some olive oil if necessary.  Add sage leaves.  Saute for about 30 seconds, just until crisp.  Remove carefully.
  5. Put meat back into pan.  Add wine and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium. 
  6. Continue to simmer until wine is reduced to  about half.
  7. Add cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil and then simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. 
  8. Use on your favorite pasta.  Garnish with fried sage leaves.  



1 comment:

  1. I JUST made this for my family, a food-sophisticated team of frequent testers trained to compliment me but be honest! We all LOVED the sauce, thought I added too much sausage, and while we all looked forward to the crunch of the fried sage, but we didn't get the crunch, and that is possibly due to not using very much oil and really letting the leaves fry up.. I will absolutely make this again, and cant wait to "get it right." Thank you Sherry's Cafe Vita for posting this delicious pasta sauce!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...