October 6, 2012

Ichabod Chili

I love, love, love this new chili recipe.  I knew I wanted to try a chili with beer and cocoa.  I had some of this pumpkin ale from New Holland Brewing, a local craft beer producer.  After cooking the chili and tweaking the spices I came up with this winner.
New Holland Brewing- "Ichabod" Pumpkin Ale

2 pounds ground beef
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup chopped onion
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 can/bottle of  beer ( I used a pumpkin spiced beer called ICHABOD, from New Holland Brewing, but anything on hand is fine)
3 TBSP. chili powder
1 cup beef broth  
2 TBSP. cumin ( I used roasted)
2 tsp.oregano 
2 tsp. agave nectar or sugar
2 TBSP. garlic powder
1 TBSP. salt 
2 tsp.  unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp. hot sauce 
1 tsp. cornmeal
1 tsp. flour
1 tsp. warm water


Directions:

1. In a large saucepan brown ground beef and drain the fat.

2.  Add the garlic and onion, cook and stir until tender.

4. Add the tomato sauce, water, beer, spices cocoa, and hot sauce.

5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2hours.

6. In a small bowl or bottle,  stir together the cornmeal and flour, then add the warm water and mix well.

7. Stir into chili and cook, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.

Garnish with chopped onion & cheddar cheese. Add some saltine crackers on the side. 
Sometimes I add a dollop of sour cream. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...