October 9, 2012

Roasted Tomatoes with Shallots & Garlic


I make many versions of roasted tomatoes to use in sauces and spreads.  Sometimes its white wine sometimes balsamic vinegar, i even add fresh red peppers when I have them.  I am using the technique I earned from Ina Garten.  I love her. 

1-2 lbs. of fresh tomatoes, a few cloves of garlic, 1-2 shallots, a long drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, a large splash of balsamic vinegar,  salt & pepper, freshly ground.  



I wash, clean and DRY  the tomatoes, slice them on the vertical.  Roughly chop the garlic and slice the shallots.  Toss it all onto a baking sheet or pad.  I used the Demarle FLEXIPAN with the perforated bottom sheet. 





Drizzle with the olive oil, grind salt and pepper. 


  Finish with a splash or 2 of white wine...I use a Pinot Grigio or a Chardonnay.

 



 Ready for the oven...LOW & SLOW:  250 F for 6o minutes.  



Nicely done.

Here are 10 uses.  I am sure I  could come up with more..please add more in the comment section!

1.  Pulse in the Cuisinart , add some olive oil,  salt and pepper for a nice roasted tapas or bruschetta spread.
2.  Toss into your favorite pasta.
3.  Puree with olive oil salt and pepper.  Saute, add some heavy cream and asiago cheese.  Use as a pasta sauce or for dipping bread.
4.  Puree and use as a substitute for conventional tomato paste.  CAN BE FROZEN.
5.  Add as added flavoring to soups:  Goes well with corn chowder, tomato bisque, sausage tortellini and more. 
6.  Serve alongside your favorite antipasti platter and cheese board.
7.  Use in place of sun dried tomatoes in any recipe.  
8.  Some have served them on a wedge salad with maple bacon and blue cheese.   I have not tried this...yet!
9.   Make the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich by adding roasted tomatoes along with your favorite cheese.
10.   Make a tart with ricotta and slow roasted tomatoes layered on a pastry shell. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those produce looks magnificent! Nothing beats a good lookin' tomato to make my heart flutter :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...