A few words to say to yourself before you make the best breakfast dish in the history of breakfast....
1. Hollandaise should NOT come out of a package.
2. Fresh hollandaise sauce is NOT difficult.
3. Fresh hollandaise sauce is WORTH IT!
Follow the simple directions carefully in preparation for EGGS BENEDICT. I promise, you will not regret it.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch salt
- Vigorously whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl and until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume. This will take some time. BE PATIENT.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water (or use a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Continue to whisk rapidly.
- Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble.
- Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume. This will take some time. BE PATIENT.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne and salt.
- Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use for the EGGS BENEDICT (RECIPE).
- If the sauce gets too thick, whisk in a few drops of warm water before serving.