- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-pound piece of Kasseri cheese, 1/2-inch to 1-inch-thick wedge
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces Ouzo or Grappa
- A handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Crack egg into a shallow dish and thoroughly whisk. Dust cheese in the flour, shake off the excess and place the flour-coated cheese in the egg mixture.
- Flip to coat completely. Place the cheese back into the flour, coating it thoroughly.
- Preheat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons of oil.3.
- Once you see the first waft of smoke rising from the pan, add the butter and swirl in the pan to melt.
- Once melted, carefully add the coated cheese wedge, browning it on each side, 2 minutes per side.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the Ouzo or Grappa, then replace the pan to the heat.
- Stand back and be careful: the pan will flame up. Once the flame extinguishes, squeeze the juice of the last lemon over the cheese and sprinkle with the parsley. Platter up the fired-up cheese with some pita bread alongside.