February 10, 2013

Apple Upside Down Cake with Brandy Custard




When I made the cake this time,  I added a twist.  I put some brown sugar and butter in the bottom of one of my pans made by Demarle (item FM000481) . I knew I would be inverting it, because the pan makes such a lovely presentation.  I use it for almost any cake, brownie or casserole recipe these days.   I then placed thinly sliced apple pieces shaped like  half-moon crescents in each well of the pan. I was hoping is would be warm and bubbly, making a nice crust on the top with the softened apple on each slice. It came out just right.   I cooled it about 20 minutes before inverting it onto platter.  I included a recipe for the brandy custard that I usually serve with bread pudding.  I love this pan not only for the presentation,  but because you can slice each petal as a piece.  It comes out so compact and uniform. 


 
Ingredients:
• 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 4 eggs
• 3 cups self-rising flour
• 2 apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
 •1 more apple for the top, peeled, cored, and sliced

Brandy/ or Rum Custard
• 1 1/4 cups whole milk
• 1 1/4 cups cream
• 4 egg yolks
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup good Brandy or rum
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9-inch springform pan.
  2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then sift in the flour. Stir in the diced apples (Batter will be very thick.)
  3.  Using a rubber spatula, spread batter evenly in pan. 
  4. Arrange the apple slices around the top of the batter. Bake until lightly browned, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. 
  5. Cool in the pan. Loosen around the edges of the cake and transfer to a serving plate. 
 Custard:

  1. Bring the milk and cream to a boil over medium heat, then turn off the heat. 
  2. Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy. 
  3.  Slowly pour in the milk/cream mixture, whisking continuously. 
  4. Return to saucepan over low heat and cook until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 10-15 minutes. 
  5. Stir in the  brandy.  
To serve, slice the cake and spoon the custard over each slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...