I had 3 pounds of chicken and I cut them in strips for 1 recipe and cubes for another, setting the cubes aside for a later dish.
For the Chicken:
1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken, cut in strips.
1/2 cup Sherry wine (not cooking Sherry)
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, divided
1 cup of rice flour
3 beaten egg whites
1 small piece of ginger, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. siriachi sauce or other hot sauce
1/4 cup of sugar
Optional: toasted sesame seeds
Oil for fying/sauteeing
1 Tbsp. butter
2 green onions, washed, sliced on the diagonal in 1 inch pieces.
For the Stir Fy Vegetables:
1 cup of slivered ehite onion
3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal
2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced on the diagaonal
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 cups of snow pea pods
1 Tbsp. oil for sauteeing.
1 cup of chopped fresh colantro
For the Vegetables-
- Heat oil in saute pan or wok.
- Stir fry/saute vegetables about 2 minutes until coated with oil and heated through.
- Set aside.
- Cook according to package instructions (I used 1 1/2 cups rice to 2 1/2 cups water).
- Set aside rice, fluff with a fork.
- Add chopped cilantro and 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
For the Chicken-
Mise en place: set up dredging station, paper towel lined plate, measure out needed ingredients
- Place chicken in a bowl and cover wtih Sherry & 1/4 cup of the soy sauce.
- Marinate 20 minutes. Drain chicken and pat dry.
- Whisk egg white with a pinch or 2 of salt in a shallow dish.
- pour rice flour into 2 separate bowls. this will be your dredging station.
- take a piece of chicken, coat it in the flour, toss with egg, then roll in flour again.
- This 3 step process insures that the flour will stick to the chicken during the cooking process.
- Place the chicken on plate and finish all the pieces, using more dredging ingredients if you run out.
- Heat about 1 cup of oil in heavy bottom skillet or saute pan(use the same one you used for the vegetables) or wok over medium high heat
- Adjust as necessary during the cooking process if you see it brown too fast. Add more oil if necessary.
- Place about 6-8 strips in the pan at at time, being careful not to crowd the pieces.
- Flip the chicken when you se the bottom turn a golden brown-about 3 minutes.
- Flip and brown evenly on the next side.
- Remove with tongs or a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Finish cooking the rest of the chicken.
- Finally, drain most of the oil, add reserved garlic, ginger and sirachi sauce with butter. Melt and heat through for about 30 seconds.
- Put all the chicken into the pan, sprinkle with the sugar and add remainder 1/4 cup of soy sauce.
- toss and saute until sugar is dissolved and all chicken is evenly coated.
- Turn off heat and plate:
- Scoop a serving of rice onto the plate
- Top with vegetables
- Add chicken
- Garnish with chopped green onion and toasted sesame seeds.