February 4, 2013

Saffron Cream Sauce

This photo I captured  from Food Network.  My own pictures are coming!
This is a saffron cream sauce with hints of VANILLA & lemon.  I made  it for a pasta dish in preparation for using it over a Seared Flank Steak for an upcoming Spanish Inspired TAPAS menu. I served it to my family  and some extra teenagers hanging around...and they all loved it! I used  a bow-tie pasta and some extra vanilla.   Interesting flavors kids don't usually find in a pasta dish.  So glad it was a success! 

Use it for pasta, steak, chicken or pork

I  have also seen it used with  ravioli and seafood: lobster, mussels and scallops.  I plan to try it with a Seared Flank Steak (recipe coming soon)  and some Lobster Ravioli....This would taste so good with a nice sweet Riesling or a Pinot Grigio. 

 

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoon butter
  • 1 small shallot, minced
  • 2 pinches  of saffron threads 
  • Optional: 1/2 cup white wine (dry)
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract (you may add more if desired)

Directions:

  1. Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. 
  2. Add the shallot and saffron and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is softened, about 2 minutes. 
  3. Add wine if using.  Reduce. 
  4. Add the cream, some salt, and pepper to taste.
  5. Reduce to a thick sauce.  About 3 minutes.  Adjust thickness with more cream or vanilla. 
  6. Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla.
  7. Serve!

Variations:
 Pasta
  • 8 ounces of pasta like bowtie,, penne or linguini
  • 1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
  • 2 tablespoons chopped chive or  parsley
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

  1. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook as the label directs. 
  2. Remove 1/4 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and transfer to the skillet with the sauce. 
  3. Add the reserved cooking water, the parmesan and half of the chives and toss to coat. 
  4. Serve topped with the lemon zest, remaining chives and more cheese.

 I added sliced roasted chicken to the pasta for a hearty meal alongside a Caesar salad and garlic bread.  Serve over pasta, grilled chicken, pork tenderloin, steak.  

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you that I think this will be my first time putting vanilla together with a pasta dish, but you can bet I'm trying this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...