I first came across this recipe from a Demarle At Home demonstration. It was like candy. All the guests were freaking out about how gorgeous the tart was and how amazing the flavors and textures were together. This tart is perfect for a nice brunch with friends or served on a buffet for 50. It holds up well and is extremely versatile. Top the tart with a mix of fresh greens, sprinkle with your favorite salad dressing or serve it along side a nice grilled steak. You could even add ham or prosciutto. Use your favorite quiche ingredients. Tons of possibilities.
Yields: 20 appetizers
INGREDIENTS: 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
2 Cups Gruyere cheese,shredded
1 1/1 lbs medium or thick asparagus
Balsamic vinegar (tastes even better when it is reduced)
Herbs de Provence (optional) or fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place oven rack in center position. Place puff pastry a stick-free mat . Gently rollout to a 16” x 10” rectangle.
- Cut straight edges around the pastry
- Place pastry on a silicone mat
- Score the pastry dough one inch from the edge making an inner rectangle. With a fork gently pierce the inner rectangle once or twice per inch. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle cheese atop the pastry.
- Trim the asparagus to fit the inner rectangular of the pastry.
- Place asparagus in a single layer over the cheese and alternate the tips and ends. Season with Sea Salt and pepper and bake until tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and Herbs de Provence OR fresh pepper
Try drizzling our Demarle Apple Pear Balsamic Vinegar on top of this tart…amazing!