March 13, 2013

Baked Avocado with Eggs and Toast


I have been developing my recipes for the blog patterned after  the  way that I cook: By ingredients.  I like to use the same ingredients during the week, but mixing it up a bit to make a variety of available meals at any given time.  I don't know about you, but my days fly by and then all of  the sudden, its dinner time and everyone is starving (plus we have many different "seating" times in our house).   If I have 2-4 pork tenderloins,  I make it 2 -3 different ways, but cook it all on the same day: one piece  might be island style with cumin and cinnamon, another  may be blackened and grilled and another, marinated in Sherry and soy sauce. Pork tenderloin happened to be on the menu this week.   I will have ended up using it for 4 different mealsMonday night was Island Pork Tenderloin with cous-cous and brown sugar cream sauce,  Wednesday for lunch, the sliced, blackened pork accompanied a  cous cous salad with tomatoes, cilantro and cucumber.   A third tenderloin will be used on Friday for a Teryaki Grilled Pork with a chilled cabbage and green onion salad.  The fourth tenderloin will be available for carnitas...my take on pork tacos.  Thinly sliced pork, a handful of cilantro and a spicy lime sour cream sauce tucked into a flour tortilla. I also made 2 batches of soup on Monday that had roasted chicken: Corn Chowder and Chicken & Wild Rice (recipes coming). The same chicken were used for chicken salad and green salads with chicken.  
But now...It's all about the avocado.   I made a batch of Chilled Avocado and Feta Cheese Salsa to use as  an after school/work snack.  I then made my  lunch and added it to the Baked Avocado with Eggs and Toast. What was MY lunch today, will probably be an item or our Sunday brunch this coming week.  So with all of that said...HERE is the recipe for the Baked Avocado.  
I hope this post was helpful to you in menu planning and meal preparation for YOUR busy days!  Please let me know if you have any questions or comment below any suggestions as to how YOU meal prep for your family.  Enjoy.  

Ingredients for 2 servings

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Slice avocado in half, removing the pit.
  3. Remove some of the flesh to make a deep well in the avocado without tearing through to the bottom.  Reserve flesh.  
  4. Break 1 egg into a small dish and carefully slide it into avocado half. Repeat with second egg. 
  5. Place filled avocado halves on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until egg is set to sunny side up.
  6. Remove from oven and plate.
  7. Top with 1/4 cup Tomato Feta Salsa and reserved avocado flesh (or ingredients of  choice).
  8. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
  9. Serve with toast.
  
Chilled Tomato & Feta Cheese Salsa
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 1  small red onion, minced
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 4 oz. container of feta cheese, crumbled
  • drizzle of extra-virgin  olive oil
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions
  1. In a bowl, gently stir together tomatoes, avocado, onion, and garlic.
  2. Mix in cilantro and garlic. Stir in feta. 
  3. Drizzle with olive oil
  4. Salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Cover, and chill for 2 hours.
  

3 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Found you on the best blog recipes link party, this looks delicious! My husband would love this, what a great idea and recipe. Thanks for sharing! :)

    Krista @ joyfulhealthyeats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I have an avocado I need to use thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avocado and eggs are one of my most favorite food combos ever! I still haven't tried baking an avocado, but yours looks so good that I think I need to give it a try soon. Thanks for linking your recipe up to the Weekend Kitchen Link Party!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...