March 18, 2013

Gluten Free-er & Clean Food Journal Day 1


Monday: Gluten Free & Clean 
Day 1

I began the day with the following post plus the post Gluten 101: Gluten For Dummies.  I post this as an introduction to my food journal.....


We enjoyed a small feast least night after church.  A snacking festival.  It was the eve of my week to change our diet to a more clean, gluten-free approach to meals.  I have four active boys (3 teenagers) who have had a winter plagued by a respiratory flu that continues to linger.  Add this to low energy, general apathy and  minor to major skin problems and it points to a need for change.     Some in the family, eh hem, have even gained a few pounds this winter as well.  So with all of this against us, and Spring upon us,  I wanted to take some drastic measures.  I have several friends who have eliminated gluten from their diet and they FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.  They were not stricken with Celiac's disease or a gluten intolerance, but they too had heard how much better people feel after getting gluten OUT. We see an applied kinesiologist who has echoed what friends have already told us.  Basically, EVERYONE would feel better if they took gluten out of their diet.  This was even validated by my OBGYN.  I have done a bit of research and have found this trend towards gluten-free eating very interesting.  Skeptics state, "If bread is the 'staple of life', why is it so bad for you?"   Well, that and more are answered for you in a brief post about gluten, its history and the bread baking industry.  Click here for  a "Gluten For Dummies" article.

I am trying to clean my diet out, but I am not willing to give up my morning coffee(that I put half & half and sugar in) and Diet Coke just yet.  That would make me miserable.  I at least need to look forward to the morning cup and an afternoon sweet fix with the DC. I love them both.  Dearly. Hopefully these will get kicked later.  
Menu

Breakfast:
Stoneyfield Vanilla yogurt with a homemade strawberry puree, granola and fresh fruit.


Lunch:  
Gluten-free Fire Roasted Tomato Soup from Zoup.  I also added an Asian Chicken Salad.  This is probably not as CLEAN as I should be, but the day warranted it.  Baby steps....
Dinner: 
Was bad.  I had a large plate of tortilla chips with real cheese melted on top, a spicy sour cream (Daisy brand) and fresh salsa.

Summary & highlights of Day 1
  • I enjoyed breakfast.
  • Lunch was "healthy" and gluten free, but late (3:00) 
  • Dinner...well I wasn't that hungry and everyone had finished the leftover Pork Tacos. Everything that was still left out made it conducive to preparing some cheesy, crunchy nachos.
  •  I passed on my sons Sour Cream & Onion potato chips he ate sitting NEXT TO ME IN THE CAR AND THEY SMELLED SO GOOD. He left them in the car when I dropped him off at piano.  Nobody was looking.  I could have grabbed some.  But then I would have finished the whole bag...not pretty.  
  •  I passed on one of my favorite candies....Good & Plenty.  I  stopped myself from fishing the stray ones  out of my desk drawer and even passed up the one I spied on the carpet of my van floor :)

“Every happening, great and small, is a parable whereby God speaks to us, and the art of life is to get the message.”
― Malcolm Muggeridge

 Tomorrow is another day. 
 ~Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...