1 lb. pasta of choice
1 lb. (about 5 links) sweet Italian sausage
1 28 oz.can of crushed Marzano tomatoes
1 cup of red wine
4 cloves fresh garlic, smashed and minced
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. onion salt
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups of Extra-virgin olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and sliced
- In a heavy bottomed pan or skillet, brown sausage an cook through, about 25 minutes.
- Cool and thinly slice sausage on the diagonal.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in the same pan, add the sausage and brown over medium heat..
- Remove sausage from skillet and saute shallots until golden brown.Remove from pan.
- In same pan, pour 1/4 cup olive oil, add all spices. Heat until fragrant.
- Add can of crushed tomatoes. Stir and add in red wine.
- Simmer and reduce to half, about 6 minutes until thickened.
- Add sausage and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions (hot to cook pasta to al dente instructions here)
- Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the water. Add water to the red sauce and stir.
- Heat remainder 1 cup of olive oil in the pasta pot. Add garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Add pasta back to the pot of oil and garlic, stirring to coat.
- Plate the pasta on a large platter, top with sausage and reserved shallots.
- Serve with shaved Asiago or Parmesan cheese and a loaf of crusty bread.