March 20, 2013

Southwest White Chicken Chili

My first ever Chili-cook off garnered me a a first place ribbon...not the grand prize,  but first place.  Like runner up.  I used the recipe from a McCormick Seasonings bottle and tweaked it based on MY preferences.  This is a brothy chili, almost a soup, really.  It is not to spicy, just enough for these ingredients.  If you don't want to roast a whole chicken you can use any kind that have on hand, as long as its breast meat.  I love it best with the crushed tortilla chips on top, melted cheese and sour cream.  I could go so far as to add the lime zest and grated onion...I think maybe I will this afternoon with the leftovers. Since I am "dieting", I can  make my lunch extra special today.  I know, all that cheese and sour cream does NOT sound like dieting.  I am actually just trying to change my "diet",  my way of eating.  If you are interested in following my gluten free-er journey, check out my page at the top.  Its not very exciting, but is is helpful to ME.  I need all the help I can get! 

Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 Tbsp. cumin
  • 1 Tbsp. oregano
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. crushed red pepper or chili powder
  • 1 roasted whole chicken, breast meat shredded and set aside
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can (4 1/2 ounces) of chopped green chilies
  • 1 can (19 ounces) white kidney beans or navy beans
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 1 lime
Optional garnishment: cheddar or Monteray jack cheese, tortilla chips, grated onion, sour cream, lime zest

Directions
  1. Heat oil on medium in a arge pot.
  2. Add onion and saute, about 1 minute.
  3. Add spices to the onion and mix well, waiting about 30 seconds to heat the spices.
  4. Add the chicken and coat well.
  5. Pour in chicken broth, chilies and beans.
  6. Bring just to a boil then reduce to low heat.
  7. Continue to simmer about 15 minutes.
  8. Add cilantro, salt and pepper.
  9. Squeeze the lime just before serving.
  10. Serve with garnishment on top.  
   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...